Follow these heart health tips.
Eat a healthy diet- eating healthy meals and snacks can help you avoid heart disease. A low sodium diet containing plenty of fresh fruits and veggies is recommended.
Maintain a healthy weight- being overweight can increase your risk of heart disease. Eating smaller portions can help maintain a healthy weight.
Get Active- physical activity is good for you and can help you maintain a healthy weight, lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Thirty minutes of moderate physical activity is recommended on most days. Choose activities you enjoy.
Stop Smoking – smoking increases your risk for heart disease. According to the National Institute of Health, people who smoke are up to six times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist regarding quitting options.
Limit Alcohol Intake- drinking too much alcohol can cause high blood pressure.
Control Cholesterol – your cholesterol should be checked at least once every five years. Talk to your doctor about cholesterol levels.
Manage Blood Pressure – monitor blood pressure regularly. Consult your doctor or pharmacist about levels.
Manage Diabetes – if you have diabetes closely monitor your blood sugar levels. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about treatment options.
Medication Compliance - Take all medications as directed by your doctor. Do not stop taking medications even if you are felling better. Do not discontinue medications
Follow these heart health tips.
Follow these Barbecue Do's and Don'ts to protect yourself and others.
- Stay inside during dawn and dusk when mosquitos are most active
- Remove any standing water near or around your house
- Be sure that your window and door screens are tightly fitted
- Wear long pants and long sleeve shirts to cover your skin
- Wear bug spray when necessary
Protect yourself and your skin from the sun's rays. Be sun smart with these sun safety tips.
- Apply sunscreen that provides UVA &UVB protection
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours and each time you exit the water
- Wear a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses
- Wear a lip balm that contains SPF
- Wear long sleeves and pants
- Avoid sun exposure between 10 am - 2 pm
- Seek shade
Celebrate dad this Father's Day. You don't have to spend a fortune to make his day special. Here are a few Father's Day ideas.
- Make a handmade card
- Frame your favorite picture of you and dad
- Plan a day with dad and spend time doing some of his favorite hobbies
- Make dad his favorite meal or dessert
- Host a Father's Day BBQ
- Make a reservation at his favorite restaurant
- Design and personalize a hat, visor, T-shirt, or keychain
There are some simple things you can do to help control your allergies.
Dust your home using a moist cloth or special dry cloth that will trap dust. Using a feather duster can lift dust into the air increasing allergens.
Vacuum often using a vacuum with a filter that is sealed. A vacuum that leaks dust will make your indoor air quality worse.
Shut out pollen by keeping your doors and windows closed as much as possible.
Change your in-home air filters regularly.
Keep car windows closed.
Try to limit outdoor activity during windy and humid days.
Wear a face mask outdoors.
Shower after spending time outside to wash pollen off your skin and out of your hair.
Celebrate Mom this Mother's Day! You don't have to spend a fortune to make her day special and let her know you care. Here are some Mother's Day ideas.
- Design a handmade card
- Write a poem
- Make a memory book or video
- Frame a favorite picture of the family
- Give her flowers
- Make a reservation at her favorite restaurant
- Plan a day out to spend time with her doing some of her favorite things
- Make her a meal
- Send her to the spa or salon
- Spend time with mom
- When your inhaler is empty, bring it back to Port Richmond Pharmacy.
- Port Richmond Pharmacy along with GSK will send the empty inhaler to a specialized recycler.
- Recycled inhalers are re manufactured into other useful household products like plastic hangers and flower pots.
- The metal components of the aerosol canister will also be recycled.
- The inhalers will not be recycled to produce new inhalers.
- Together we can Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
- Breakfast gives you energy to start the day. A healthy breakfast is important!
- Snacks can boost your energy between meals. Try to choose nutrient rich foods when snacking.
- Watch portion sizes, use smaller plates and bowls. Measuring food can prevent overeating.
- Be active, physical activity lowers blood pressure and helps your body with stress and weight. Choose activities that you like.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is essential for your health. Try to replace sugary drinks with water.
- Reduce Sodium intake. Choose low sodium foods and replace salt with herbs and spices to flavor your meals.
- Consider using low-fat milk or fat-free milk instead of whole milk. Low-fat and fat-free milk have the same amount of calcium and other nutrients as whole milk, but with less fat and calories.
- Eat a variety of foods containing protein such as seafood, beans, nuts, eggs, poultry and lean meats.
- Fruits and veggies add vitamins, minerals and fiber to your diet. Try making half your plate fruits and veggies.
- Don’t fall into a food rut by eating the same foods every day. Look for new nutritious foods to try daily.